A news item in Nature by Ariana Remmel explains how challenging it is to prove that a medical problem following immunization was caused by the vaccine itself and describes the kinds of studies that are needed to understand the causes of rare adverse events. These include targeted clinical trials and active surveillance systems that collect adverse event data, both background rates and rates after vaccination, from electronic health records.
- The UK Expert Haematology Panel (EHP) has produced guidance on the syndrome of Thrombosis and Thrombocytopenia occurring after coronavirus vaccination April 8, 2021
- Why is it so hard to investigate the rare side effects of COVID vaccines? April 7, 2021
- Protocol template for cohort event monitoring (CEM) for safety signal detection after vaccination with COVID-19 vaccines March 30, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca: benefits still outweigh the risks despite possible link to rare blood clots with low blood platelets March 20, 2021
- Vaccine safety experience updates from the US CDCs Vaccine Safety Technical Subgroup (VaST) March 17, 2021